Doing Business in Elkin
Steps to Starting a Business in Elkin
Call Leslie at 336-258-8907, Economic Development
- For grants, incentives, microloan, small business start-up services
- For available locations in and around Elkin
- To find if the type of business you are wanting to start is allowed in your chosen location.
- To apply for a signage permit before purchasing or investing in a sign.
- Call Sarah first for a zoning permit (above)- letting the county building inspector know that your business is allowable in your location.
- Call the Surry County Building Inspections Department - to apply for a building permit; often if you are working with a licensed contractor they will complete this stage for you.
- Downloadable checklist for renovation.
- Restaurant and food prep inspections also occur at the County level.
- If you are looking specifically for a downtown location and enhanced downtown services or grant programs, our Main Street Manager can help you apply.
- Downloadable checklist for new businesses in downtown.
- When you are ready to open your business and need a fire inspection so you are ready to open your location to the public, call for an appointment.
- To set up your town utilities (water, garbage collection)