Downtown Elkin and the NC Main Street Program
Since 1980, the North Carolina Main Street Center had traditionally selected communities every two years to participate in the Main Street Program. Elkin applied and was selected as a North Carolina Main Street City in April of 1998, along with Monroe, Oxford, and Sparta.
In March 1999, the Elkin Town Board appointed the Elkin Main Street Program Committee (Main Street Advisory Board, or MSAB). This board, along with Elkin's Main Street Manager, works with other groups (such as Downtown Elkin Business Association, Yadkin Valley Chamber of Commerce, Explore Elkin, and local civic organizations and businesses) to promote and expand downtown events and tourism.
The North Carolina Main Street Program is a part of the North Carolina Department of Commerce. This human and reference center works to stimulate comprehensive revitalization utilizing the four-point approach. The Main Street Program is designed to improve all aspects of downtown, producing both tangible and intangible benefits.
Elkin utilizes the comprehensive Main Street Four-Point Approach to redevelop and improve all aspects of downtown in a strategic manner:
- Organization: This improvement approach is based on building partnerships to create a consistent revitalization program and develop effective management and leadership downtown. Diverse groups – merchants, bankers, public officials, the chamber of commerce and civic groups must work together to improve downtown.
- Promotion: Reestablishing downtown as a compelling place for shoppers, investors and visitors. This means not only improving sales but also rekindling community excitement and involvement. Promotion ranges from street festivals to retail merchandising, from community education to marketing and public relations.
- Design: Enhancing the visual quality of downtown. Attention is given to the downtown environment elements – not just buildings and storefronts but also public improvements, rear entries, signs, landscaping, window displays, and graphic materials.
- Economic Vitality: Strengthening the existing economic assets of the business district while diversifying its economic base. Activities include conducting market analysis to understand the changing market place, adapting vacant buildings that have outlived their original purposes for use as entertainment or cultural facilities and sharpening the competitiveness of Main Street’s traditional merchants.
As a Main Street America™ Accredited program, Elkin is a recognized leading program among the national network of more than 1,200 neighborhoods and communities who share both a commitment to creating high-quality places and to building stronger communities through preservation-based economic development. All Main Street America™ Accredited programs meet a set of National Accreditation Standards of Performance as outlined by the National Main Street Center.
The Elkin Main Street Advisory Board, in collaboration with N.C. Department of Commerce Main Street & Rural Planning Center is charged with the administration and coordination of the Main Street program at the local level. Elkin is proud to be a designated & accredited North Carolina Main Street community for 2020.
Below is the Main Street Advisory Board's Vision, Mission and Strategy:
Economic Positioning/Vision: Elkin is the most creatively connected downtown in the heart of the Yadkin Valley wine, trail, and cultural arts region.
Mission: Elkin Main Street advisory board serves to collaborate and connect the community and organizations to support and develop a thriving downtown.
Implementation Strategy: Elkin is a designated NC Main Street community. The Town of Elkin has charged the town’s Main Street & Community Manager with the administration of the Main Street program at the local level in collaboration with the Elkin Main Street Advisory Board. The Town of Elkin uses the Main Street America ™ model of establishing economic development strategies and applying the Main Street Four-Point Approach® to downtown revitalization: Organization, Promotion, Design, and Economic Vitality, to implement a plan that achieves measurable results.
Other regional partners our Main Street Advisory Board has worked with include:
- North Carolina's State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO)
- North Carolina Tobacco Trust Fund (NCTTFC)
- Preservation NC
- Appalachian Regional Council (ARC)
- Piedmont Triad Regional Council (PTRC)
- The Rural Center
- Yadkin Valley Chamber of Commerce
- Surry Telephone
- Duke Energy
Recent NC Main Street Program AWARDS for Downtown Elkin
2019 NC MAIN STREET AWARDS:
(Click on the blue VIMEO button within each box)
Award of Merit for Best Innovation- Explore Elkin
5) Explore Elkin (Elkin) from NC Main Street Center on Vimeo. Or, follow this link to the Explore Elkin Award Video: https://www.ncmainstreetandplanning.com/post/explore-elkin
Downtown Elkin Main Street Champion for 2019
Elkin - John Cheek from NC Main Street Center on Vimeo. Or, follow this link to his video at https://www.ncmainstreetandplanning.com/post/john-cheek-elkin