Downtown Elkin and the NC Main Street Program
Main Street America Program
As a Main Street America™ Accredited program, Elkin is a recognized leading program among the national network of more than 1,200 neighborhoods and communities who share both a commitment to creating high-quality places and to building stronger communities through preservation-based economic development. All Main Street America™ Accredited programs meet a set of National Accreditation Standards of Performance as outlined by the National Main Street Center.
Since 1980, the North Carolina Main Street Center has traditionally selected communities every two years to participate in the Main Street Program. Elkin applied and was selected as a North Carolina Main Street City in April of 1998, along with Monroe, Oxford and Sparta.
In March 1999, the Elkin Town Board appointed the Elkin Main Street Program Committee (Main Street Advisory Board, or MSAB). This board works with other groups (such Downtown Elkin, Inc., Yadkin Valley Chamber of Commerce, and local civic organizations and businesses) to promote and expand downtown events and tourism.
The North Carolina Main Street Program is a part of the North Carolina Department of Commerce. This human and reference center works to stimulate comprehensive revitalization utilizing the four-point approach. The four elements are: organization, promotion, design and economic restructuring. The Main Street Program is designed to improve all aspects of downtown, producing both tangible and intangible benefits.
Downtown Elkin utilizes the comprehensive Main Street Four-Point Approach to redevelop and improve all aspects of downtown in a strategic manner:
- Organization: This improvement approach is based on building partnerships to create a consistent revitalization program and develop effective management and leadership downtown. Diverse groups – merchants, bankers, public officials, the chamber of commerce and civic groups must work together to improve downtown.
- Promotion: Reestablishing downtown as a compelling place for shoppers, investors and visitors. This means not only improving sales but also rekindling community excitement and involvement. Promotion ranges from street festivals to retail merchandising, from community education to marketing and public relations.
- Design: Enhancing the visual quality of the downtown. Attention is given to the downtown environment elements – not just buildings and storefronts but also public improvements, rear entries, signs, landscaping, window displays and graphic materials.
- Economic Vitality: Strengthening the existing economic assets of the business district while diversifying its economic base. Activities include conducting market analysis to understand the changing market place, adapting vacant buildings that have outlived their original purposes for use as entertainment or cultural facilities and sharpening the competitiveness of Main Street’s traditional merchants.
OUR TOWN MATTERS
The Elkin Main Street Advisory Board, in collaboration with the N.C. Department of Commerce Main Street & Rural Planning Center, is charged with the administration and coordination of the Main Street program at the local level. Elkin is proud to be a designated & accredited North Carolina Main Street community.
Other regional partners our Main Street Advisory Board has worked with include:
- North Carolina Tobacco Trust Fund (NCTTFC)
- Appalachian Regional Council (ARC)
- Piedmont Triad Regional Council
- The Rural Center
- Yadkin Valley Chamber of Commerce
- Surry Telephone
- Duke Energy